The way the Quran describes the heavens and earth separating sounds very similar to the ancient creation myths. It repeats incorrect ideas, it doesn’t get the order of creation right, and it doesn’t give the right timings either. It sounds exactly like someone who is not God wrote it.
If the Quran was from God, we would expect it to say something different than what everyone else was saying at the time. However we find the exact opposite. We find it repeating ancient creation myths about the sky being lifted up, being held up without pillars, about the heavens and earth being joined, and it was made in six days. Even if we dont take “yawm” literally, these verses are extremely troubling. Why is it that Muhammad is repeating the same flawed ideas that we know are not true?
Let us look at the first and biggest issue with the Quran
What is “As-Sama” (The Heavens)?
The Quran explains it here. It is what contains the stars (ie the universe)
Indeed, We have adorned the nearest heaven with an adornment of stars (37:6)
And He completed them as seven heavens within two days and inspired in each heaven its command. And We adorned the nearest heaven with lamps and as protection. That is the determination of the Exalted in Might, the Knowing. (41:12)
Allah split the heavens and the earth
Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the earth were a joined entity, and We separated them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe? (21:30)
One of the most widespread motifs in creation myths is that of separation of heaven and earth. When we look at culture after culture we see the same idea. At this point, you should really be wondering if Muhammad spoke to Allah or was just repeating what everyone else was saying. Do you notice that the verse above actually draws attention to the fact that the disbelievers were “aware” of this concept? It’s actually saying that we are describing to you what you already know to be true (that the heavens and earth were joined).
Other ancient culture myths of heavens and earth being split
- The Bible (Genesis) that says that in the beginning there was only water, and then God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.”
- The Greeks who said in the beginning there was only water (the God Oceanus), and then Eurynome separated the sky from the sea by dancing on the waves of Oceanus1)Greek creation myths
- The Dhammai of India, The Diegenos of California – Earth and heaven had to be separated because no room for growth in the darkness otherwise
- The Romans – separation of heaven and earth by a natural force – a God
- in Ancient Greece Kronos (Time) castrated his father and separated heaven and earth, similarly with the Continental Celts
- Creation myth of the Krachi of Africa the God of heaven rests firmly on Earth and human offspring are nearly smothered, and by lots of squirming father is sent up higher and higher
- Maori and other Polynesian people said that the sky father and earth mother clung so tightly that their children had no choice but to force them apart
- The Snohomish of North Western Africa – people banging their heads against the sky so heaven and earth separated
- Melenesian Solomon Island myth
- Micromesian Mariana Islands myth
- In Mongolia Udan separates heaven and earth with 99 golden columns
- Vietnam giant Khong raises the sky from the earth with his head
- Mesoamerica the Mayan feathered serpent and the god Tepeu use their immense power to separate heaven and earth
- and more… 2)Reference: Creation Myths of the World: Parts I-II, By David Adams Leeming (Google Books): 1, 2, 3
How was the world actually created?
One of the most well established theories of how the world was created is the “big bang”. It was confirmed by multiple scientists through multiple different evidences.
- In 1917, Einstein developed the general theory of relativity which predicted the universe was expanding. He actually doubted his own physics because at the time everyone thought the universe was static (not expanding) and always existed. He said this was the biggest mistake of his life.
- Then on May 20, 1964, American radio astronomers Robert Wilson and Arno Penzias discovered the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB). They discovered the left over radiation from the explosion from the beginning of the universe.
- In 1929, further evidence for this theory being true was discovered by Edward Hubble who noticed that stars were moving away from Earth, and also from each other! This means that the universe was expanding! Einstein’s theory was confirmed. It also means that if we rewind the clock, everything was in a single point
This is in a nutshell how we discovered the big bang is true.
This is explained in this video
There are other strange verses in the Quran that betray a misunderstanding of cosmology. Things like saying the Earth took two days, or the heavens took six days. Very strange and arbitrary numbers applied nonsensically.
Which came first, the heavens or the Earth?
“He it is Who created for you all that is on earth. Then He rose over towards the heaven and made them seven heavens and He is the All-Knower of everything” (2:29)
Also, apparently the Earth took “two days” to make?
Say, “Do you indeed disbelieve in He who created the earth in two days and attribute to Him equals? That is the Lord of the worlds.” (41:9)
And all the heavens and earth in total six days?
He who created the heavens and the earth and what is between them in six days and then established Himself above the Throne – the Most Merciful, so ask about Him one well informed. (25:59)
So the Earth took two days, and everything took six days? That sounds actually seriously wrong. Even if you don’t take days literally, the Earth is just a tiny spec of dust in the entire universe, why would it take so long as a percentage of the total?
This is confirmed by the fatwa on IslamQA that
“So the earth was created first, not spread, then the heaven was created” (Fatwa 70217, IslamQA)
Of course this contradicts everything we understand about the universe. This is completely incorrect and shows how the Quran doesnt give any sort of indication of the correct method of creation
We have a pretty good understanding of how the universe was created, and especially the Earth.
The Earth was not formed until around 8 billion years after the universe started.
Obviously Muhammad did not know how the universe was formed.
Allah is He Who raised ( رَفَعَ) the heavens without any pillars that you can see. Then, He Istawa (rose above) the Throne. He has subjected the sun and the moon! Each running (its course) for a term appointed. He regulates all affairs, explaining the signs in detail, that you may believe with certainty in the meeting with your Lord. (13:2)
References [ + ]