Based on comments I got, I decided to make a follow up video
• Evidence for stoning in hadith
• Stoning meant as a deterrent?
• Stoning not in the Quran
• Contradiction between Quran and Hadith?
• Does the punishment fit the crime?
• Mental issues
• How 4 witnesses became 4 oaths
Raw unedited notes:
Many Hadith for stoning
– Story of Ma’iz in:
- Sunan Abu Dawud,
- Sahih Muslim
- Sahih Bukhari
- Jami At-Tirmidhi
was stoned for adultery after he bore witness 4 times
– Abu Dawud mentions he was an orphan boy.
— hadith of Unais who was ordered to go to a lady if she confessed and she did,
was stoned to death (Bukhari)
– Muhammad ordered a Jewish man and woman to be stoned based on the Torah (Bukhari)
Stoning meant as a deterrent?
How does a deterrent work, when its never actually applied?
– Only after insisting
So Prophet only stoned him and the lady after they insisted.
But the question is “why?”
– Does it not seem like these guys have mental issues?
– Yes, he asked them “are you insane?”
– had untreated depression, maybe caused by severe anxiety and guilt caused by threat of punishment from Allah
Stoning not in the Quran but hadith
– Quran Surah Nur Chapter 24 Verse 2
The [unmarried] woman or [unmarried] man found guilty of sexual intercourse – lash each one of them with a hundred lashes, and do not be taken by pity for them in the religion of Allah , if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a group of the believers witness their punishment. (24:2)
The woman or man found guilty of sexual intercourse – lash each one of them with a hundred lashes,
and do not be taken by pity for them in the religion of Allah , if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a group of the believers witness their punishment.
Contradiction between Quran and Hadith?
– The word “Zina” in Arabic doesn’t specify if it means married or unmarried,
we have to look for more context from the hadith.
-“Saheeh Intl” version says [unmarried] man and [unmarried] woman because this is how they interpreted it.
Does punishment fit the crime? 100 lashes for a private moral crime?
– How does this help anyone
– Beat your kids, we now know from hundreds of studies and research this is NOT effective, does not bring about change that you desire, and is detrimental.
How 4 witnesses became 4 oaths
– The Masked Arab has a video where he explains how the rule of 4 witnesses for adultery became 4 oaths, which is very interesting.
1) if you accuse a woman of adultery and dont have 4 witnesses you are whipped 80 times.
2) A companion complained saying that he swore he saw his wife doing it. What would happen if he accused her now? Well, 80 lashes for him!
So after he complained, Prophet Muhammad said if you dont have 4 witnesses, well. then make an oath. Seems that God didn’t think this through very well. Now nobody will ever get whipped as long as they swear to God they are truthful.
Link to The Masked Arab’s video on this (jump to 6:39 in the video)